IC1396 is a large dim emission nebula which is located in Cepheus. It cover an area of six square degrees, and can be recorded entirely on a 35mm. frame with a focal of nearly 400mm. A lot of black globules are visible on long exposure images. One of this (named VDB142) is often called "The Elephant Trunk".
- Exposure : mosaic of two 55 min. positive scanned with Minolta ScanDual III, aligned with Registar 1.0 and enhanced with Photoshop 6.0
- Telescope : Takahashi FS-102 at F/6 with focal reducer on a Losmandy G11
- Guiding : ST4 on a Vixen 80/910mm.
- Film : unhypered Kodak Ektachrome E200 Professional developed at 400 ISO
- Location : Piano di Nivolet (Val d'Aosta) - 2600mt. height
- Date : August 08, 2002
Click here to see a higher resolution image