This field represent an area very close to the center of our own galaxy, and is surprisingly rich in objects.At lower center is M8 (NGC6523), the famous Lagoon Nebula, an emission nebulosity surrounding the open cluster NGC6530.The nebula is crossed by a dust lane identified as B88-B296.The Lagoon is physically interconnected with another complex of E+R nebulae (NGC6559 - IC4685 - IC1274/75).At upper right are visible two other famous objects : M20 (NGC6514), called the Trifid Nebula because of its triple division, and M21 (NGC6531), an open cluster located 40' NE from the Trifid and containing about 70 stars.At lower left is NGC6544, a small globular cluster.
- Exposure : three 35 min. negatives scanned with Polaroid Sprintscan 35+, blended in Picture Window 2.0 and enhanced with Photoshop 4.0
- Telescope : Takahashi FS-102 at F/6 with focal reducer on a Losmandy G11
- Guiding : ST4 on a Vixen 80/910mm.
- Film : unhypered Kodak Multispeed PJM-2
- Location : Piano di Nivolet (Val d'Aosta) - 2600mt. height
- Date : July 18, 1998 - July 16, 1999
Click here to see a higher resolution image