In Cepheus is located the bright nebula IC1396, which is huge in dimensions (170' x 140'). This nebula shows a lot of dark globules embedded in it. One of this, which is imaged in the picture above, is located in the western part and is known as "The Elephant Trunk". It's one of the best examples of dark nebulas. Van der Bergh 142 is often confused with it, but in reality it's the small bright emission nebula (about 1') which is visible into the darker part, at center left.
- Camera : Starlight Xpress SXV-H9 with Astronomik 13nm Ha filter
- Telescope : Takahashi FS-102 at F/6 with focal reducer on a GM2000-FS2
- Guiding : ST4 on a Vixen 80/910mm.
- Exposure : 9x600sec. unbinned
- Processing : MaxIm (align, combine, stretching) - Photoshop (final enhancing)
- Location : from my backyard in Castano Primo (Milan)
- Date : September 19, 2003
Click here to see a higher resolution image